In most cases, a broken bone can heal smoothly after proper medical treatment. However, in some patients, the fracture does not heal in the expected period despite treatment, and we give this type of fracture another name called a non-union fracture.
Generally, if the fracture does not heal in 6-9 months, it can be considered a non-union fracture. Studies have shown that about 5-10% of fractures may result in non-union, and the tibia, humerus, talus, and fifth metatarsal bone are the most commonly affected.
Causes of non-union fractures
Understanding the reasons why a fracture does not heal correctly is very important in determining the proper treatment. Causes of non-union fractures include:
- Infection at the site of the fracture
- Inadequate blood supply to the bone
- Separation of the ends of the bone
- Inadequate surgical stabilization of the bone
Symptoms of non-union fractures
Most patients with a non-union fracture report the following symptoms:
- Limb or joint deformity
- Difficulty bearing weight
Types of non-union fractures
There are typically three types of non-union fractures: hypertrophic, atrophic, and eutrophic non-union fractures.
- Hypertrophic non-union fracture: This is a result of the instability of the fixation or metalwork used to fix a fracture.
- Atrophic non-union fracture: This occurs when the bone ends have a very limited or nonexistent blood supply or parts of the bone are missing.
- Eutrophic non-union fracture: This is usually caused by multiple factors like fracture instability, lack of blood supply to the bone ends, inadequate fixation, or low-grade infection which does not present itself clinically.
Heal your bones naturally with MiraMate PEMF products
Traditional treatment for non-union fractures generally involves surgery, but in recent years, PEMF therapy has become increasingly popular among medical practitioners, used as an alternative treatment for healing bones. It is safe, drug-free, and effective and has been approved by the FDA for healing non-union fractures since 1979.
Whether you want to relieve pain from acute bone injuries or heal naturally from fractures, MiraMate PEMF devices can soothe your pain and revitalize your body health in a safe and non-invasive way.
For acute bone injuries, we recommend using Mini Magic. The coils of Mini Magic are flexible for local treatment, such as knees, ankles, wrists, etc. You can easily apply them to the area of your fracture, and the pain will disappear notably.
If you are seeking a way to speed up the healing process, then Big Magic is an ideal option. It comes with a PVC mat, which is lightweight, easy to clean, and waterproof, providing both comfort and durability during use. You can wrap it directly around your fractured arm or leg and let it help heal you even during sleep.
In addition, increasing your daily intake of vitamin D and C and calcium during the treatment process is also recommended. These nutrients can stimulate the production of healthy cells to assist in the healing process.
Click here to join the MiraMate Facebook group.